The basis of the institution was a legacy of the famous carrier Thomas Hobson, who died in 1630. For women there are ten cells, the same size as the men's, and four court-yards with a privy in each. Many of the cells are out of repair, and the whole prison very dirty.To answer the intention, the keeper is a wool-comber. In 1838, a report by the Charity Commissioners recorded that "the Workhouse, which is commonly called by the name of the Spinning-house, is a large building in good repair, fit for the reception of about 60 persons." The also noted that prior to 1808: ..principal use to which the building had been applied was a receptacle for profligate and disorderly women, &c., committed by the vice-chancellor, their maintenance being paid by the University.For more information on how the federal tax credit process works, click on this website: Briefs The National Park Service publishes the Preservation Briefs to provide technical information on various rehabilitation topics including the use of Tax Credits. First suggested Global Holiday for all Women & their Families throughout the world. Born Araminta Ross in 1822 in Dorchester County, Maryland, on the plantation where her parents were enslaved, she took the name "Harriet" at the time she married John Tubman, a free black man, around 1844. Contact: Lucreatia Wilson, Star Hill AME Church, Delaware Underground Railroad tours. She was a leader in the struggle for civil rights who was forever motivated by her love of family and community and by her deep and abiding faith. Harriet Tubman Day Freedom Scholarship 2011 recipient, Mr. Harriet Tubman welcomes over three-million viewers since its grand opening and counting. Harriet Tubman fought tirelessly for the Union cause, for the rights of enslaved people, for the rights of women, and for the rights of all.In the Civil War she supported the Union forces as a scout, spy, and nurse to African-American soldiers on battlefields and later at Fort Monroe, Virginia.After the war, she established the Harriet Tubman Home for the Aged, which institutionalized a pattern of her life -- caring for African Americans in need.
Bookplates, also known as ex-libris, have since the 15th century been placed in books to declare ownership.[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] In July 1628, Thomas Hobson, a local carrier, donated land to representatives of the town and University for the erection of a workhouse and a house of correction or bridewell, to be completed within a period of four years.The building, which became known as the Spinning House, was "pleasantly situated near the fields at the south end of the parish of Great St Andrew's" (Stokes, 1911) — on what became St Andrew's Street.Many artists, some famous such as William Hogarth, Aubrey Beardsley and John Piper, have designed bookplates, and many significant people (e.g.Samuel Pepys and Rudyard Kipling) have used them, but a personal bookplate has been available to anyone owning a library and wishing to place in the books a printed design as a mark of possession.