Map of Hampshire and Hampden Canal in context, 1831 The Hampshire and Hampden Canal was the Massachusetts segment of an 86-mile canal that once connected New Haven, Connecticut to the Connecticut River north of Northampton, Massachusetts. Year 1874 (MDCCCLXXIV) was a common year starting on Thursday (link with display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Saturday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar). Northampton, which was incorporated as a city in 1883, developed into a thriving community and a local center for commerce, education, and the arts, even supporting a still-extant opera house, the Academy of Music, which functioned as an independent movie house until recently.However, the 800 seat theatre now operates as a venue for rent for local and other productions.The city of Northampton is the county seat of Hampshire County, Massachusetts, United States.As of the 2010 census, the population of Northampton's central neighborhoods, (excluding its outer, incorporated villages, Florence, Massachusetts and Leeds, Massachusetts,) was 28,549.Members of the community were present at the Constitutional Convention.Colonial American Congregational preacher Jonathan Edwards led a spiritual revival in Northampton beginning in 1733.
Members of the community were among the signatories of the Declaration of Independence.
A part of Northampton known as Smith's Ferry was separated from the rest of the town by Easthampton, and the shortest path to downtown was on a road near the Connecticut River oxbow, which was subject to frequent flooding.
The neighborhood was ceded to Holyoke, Massachusetts in 1909.
Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! In 1653, land was purchased from the native inhabitants making up the bulk of modern Northampton.
The area now known as Northampton was named Norwottuck, or Nonotuck, meaning "the mist of the river" by Native Americans.