After the partition of Bengal in 1905, dhaka was made the capital of the new province of Eastern Bengal and Assam. EA Hall (Civil Surgeon, Dhaka), CR Bryan, HG Bally (Commandant, Military Police Battalion, Dhaka), JO Rennie (PWD, Dhaka), and JS Wilson and AT Halliday of Indian Police, Dhaka.The British civilians, who came to govern the new province, felt the need of a social club. The membership of the club grew quickly in the 1920s and '30s as many Europeans came to Dhaka in connection with the jute trade, steam navigation, the railway, and estate management. Dhaka is home to most of the local business conglomerate.
After the partition of India in 1947, Dhaka became the administrative capital of East Pakistan, and later, in 1971, the capital of an independent Bangladesh.
It was established in place of an older club known as the Armenian Club or the Antagar (a corruption of Addagar or Gossip House).
The last name rendered its name to the park which came to be known as Antagar Maidan (Antaghor Field).
The city hosted two important caravansaries of the subcontinent: the Bara Katra and Choto Katra, located on the riverfront of the Buriganga. Between 19, it was the capital of British Eastern Bengal and Assam.
The old city was home to various Eurasian merchant groups.